Saturday, May 15, 2010

A date with my son.

If you're a parent, or even if you have frequent contact with a child or group of children, you know that every once in a while - a kid needs one-on-one time with his or her primary caregiver. This may even be especially true if that child has siblings, as mine all do. As the mom of three kiddos, it has become increasingly apparent over the years that it's HARD to make sure that all of their needs are met. And really, what parent has made sure that ALL of their needs are met?? Have you MET any kids?? Their needs are VAST!! They're little need vortexes. Black holes of NEED. So yeah - once in a while, my kiddos start acting like um...*not the best version of themselves*...and that's the surest sign that they need some one-on-one time. This weekend, we made plans to have some one-on-one time (we have referred to them as mini-dates) with each of the big kids. Today was my son's day. And it was my turn to spend some time alone with him. I was EXCITED!!! And I'm not even remotely kidding!

He got to choose our plan of action today, and he chose going to a local playground/park, then to Toys R Us, and then to the mall, and then to a yarn store. Yes, you read that right. My little thoughtful guy wanted me to get some yarn for myself because he knows that I like pretty things. That's how he put it, anyway. (Can I get an "awwwwww")

We started at the playground/park. It was awesome! I didn't have to run around chasing after my 4yo, I didn't have to carry my 1yo in my Ellaroo Wrap the whole time, nor did I have anyone in a stroller. Just one 7yo boy. It was positively exhilerating! He swung, he merry-went-round, he walked up the little mountain. We played "imaginary volleyball" (existent ball, nonexistent net). Then we laid down on the cool grass and looked at the clouds...and pretended we were on a rocket to Neptune. HEAVENLY!

And then on to Toys R Us. Hey, he's 7. He likes *things*. So he selected one toy for himself, and one for his sister. There was no tugging, there were no arguments, I didn't have to split my attention between two aisles (one entirely pink and one entirely star wars). HEAVENLY!

After TRU, he decided to go home - his cup had runneth over and he was satisfied. Or he wanted to go play with his new toy. One of the two.

Anyway, for me it was a soul-soothing day. My little gentleman kept asking me if I was having a good time, and expressing his joy that we were out together alone. And I wonder now if our little kiddos simply sense when WE as parent need some one-on-one time with them to remind us that we actually do like them as people. LOL!

0 comments:

Post a Comment